About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, January 21, 2012

Discovering cardboard

Building a hard top for this boat has been very much on my mind for at least the last three years. As a typically trained busines school graduate, I thought out detailed processes for each major phase of the work. In most cases, this is a good way to think about complicated projects.

Sometimes, however, it is possible to rely too much on process analysis and to paint oneself into a corner. This is how I came to waste a week and countless auto miles looking for thin plywood. I had planned on using 1/8"  Luan plywood for the new top pattern. One-eighth inch Luan plywood is nowhere to be found.

Eureka!

Then I remembered the big cardboard carton the marine plywood came in. So, today I have learned a lesson about being more flexible. And the project is on the move again.

Cardboard is great stuff for big patterns. It can be easily worked with a box cutter. Mistakes can be fixed with package tape.

How we made the pattern

We tacked a big piece of cardboard on the framework previously built on the boat. Then I followed around the outside of the framework with the point of a pencil compass. As the compass point tracked the framework perimeter, the pencil transfered the structure's curves to the underside the cardboard. The overhang widths on the front, sides and back of the top were penciled onto the cardboard by adjusting the radius on the compass for the desired overhang dimensions. Real boat carpenters call this technique "spiling." Spiling can be tricky, but accurate results can be achieved with practice and care.

So here I am, spiling away. Please note that I have discovered another important fact about making big patterns:



It is not necessary to pattern the whole structure. I need only make a half-pattern. When it comes time to transfer the pattern to the plywood, I will pencil around my half pattern, then flip it over to trace the opposite perimeter.










Here's what the half-pattern looked like after I had cut along my compass tracks. Dia, who is 5'  6", provides a sense of the cardboard cut-out's size.
At this point, the pattern will produce a top that is 10' 2" long and 7' 1" wide.







The pattern, tacked back on the framework for a test fit, suggests how the final product will likely look. The "eyebrow" overhang in the front will be 8". We first planned for a 5" overhang in the back, but after looking at the pattern in place, we increased the rear overhang to match the front--8".




The overhang along the sides of the top was set at 5 1/2". We wanted to extend the side edges far enough so that rain running off the top wouldn't flow inside the cabin coaming, but not so far as to hamper cabin access and movement around the side decks.
    
  
I draped a weighted piece of string over the pattern's edge to simulate a drip line. You may be able to see it better if you click this image to enlarge it. I measured about a 2" clearance from the drip line to the coaming edge. That may not be enough. I might widen the the final top width to increase this offset.


Rain and sawdust


Rain is expected here over the next few days. The pattern will be moved to a dry corner of the garage for a time.
Next, I will start the work of joining three 4x8 sheets of marine plywood into one big sheet from which the final top will emerge.

1 comment:

  1. John
    This is looking really good. I always work first with cardboard templates, as you say, a lot can be done with them. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: