About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Friday, April 20, 2012

Painting -- fits and starts


I have this thing on its back with two coats of toxically aromatic primer applied around its perimeter. I badly want to roll two coats of the fancy Interlux Perfection topcoat over the primer, just to see how it will look. I want to flop the top over and roll on the first layer of white primer just to see this top finally looking like a top.

But it is raining. It has turned cool. The humidity is around 100 percent. It would not be smart to paint under these conditions.

So, within sight of the finish line, the project comes to a halt.

Oh, and about the budget

This is probably a good time to admit to being over budget. So far the overage is just a little less than $200. That is not too bad on a budget of $2,500. The last-minute paint decision is to blame. I have a good supply of the one-part polyurethane, but shifting to two-part paint meant an unexpected expense. I also had to buy a new respirator, because I cannot find fresh filter canisters for my trusty 2007 model.

The good news 

There are at least a couple of positive things to report.

First, I am glad I chose Interlux Perfection paint. Interlux has great technical support. In addition to rapid and cogent replies to my frequent email questions, the company also has a good set of ‘how to’ videos on its website. I have watched all the Perfection videos two or three times, and that’s probably why I am not painting in the rain this afternoon.

And, the light mast and grab rails are beautifully varnished—three coats of  Cetol Natural Teak on everything and three coats of clear ultraviolet protectant over that. They look good. (All this was done a couple of weeks ago, when it was dry and much warmer). I have even assembled all the stainless steel screws, bolts, washers, nuts and brackets that will be needed to fasten the rails, the mast and the top on the boat. Everything seems to be ready.

More about tech support

Getting information about products and help with technique via the internet is easier than ever and usually so much better than  talking with the Good Ole Boys at the marina. Has anyone other than me noticed, however, that conflicting advice often arises from the same sources? Take, the paint company, for example. If you compare the information on their internet product data sheets with the instructions on their paint cans and advice from their videos it is easy to arrive at three different recommendations on how many coats of paint to apply and drying times between coats. In the final analysis, the decision becomes a well-informed consumer judgment call. Perhaps that's not bad.

Meanwhile, we continue, patiently

...waiting for the weather to improve so we can paint some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: