About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Still waiting for the Big Event


In the last few days I have installed a new engine water pump and a new alternator belt and I have given the engine box a thorough cleanout. I have also been doing some epoxy filleting in the area over the windshield where the new top’s first cross member lies and some other pilot house area filling and fairing to get things ready for an interior paint job.





The top is finished and awaiting transport to the boat. I think it looks quite nice, with four coats of two-part epoxy paint.





Like many other things on this project, surface preparation for painting has turned out to be more complicated than expected. The framework we built on the boat to support the top needs to be smoothed. In addition to surface sanding, I want to knock the sharp edges off the rafters and supporting structure and to fair the intersections of wood to fiberglass with epoxy glue. This turns out to be harder than expected because the fir lumber we used for the project is really quite dense. And the pitch in the wood is gumming up sandpaper at a prodigious rate.

Meanwhile, it seems that it has been raining here, briefly and violently, about every 15 minutes. I am reminded of a time I worked on a ship in Apra Harbor, Guam, during the rainy season. It was possible to chip paint, be driven below decks by rain, return to buff rust off the spot you just finished chipping, then apply red lead primer only to have it mostly washed away by another furious torrent.

So, I am doing inside the boat work now and waiting for next Wednesday when we will try again to install the new top – weather permitting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: