About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, June 2, 2012

Just over the horizon...

...there just could be an ending to this project. The major parts are done, I am generally happy with results so far.


The last two ratchet straps came off this morning and the 3M 5200 adhesive has made a strong bond between the top and its framework all around the perimeter and across the lateral and longitudinal support beams. When the job was done, I had used four 10 ounce tubes of the adhesive.

I think the shape of the top and its curves turned out to be pleasing.

One of the best uses I have found for our behemoth gas-guzzling houseboat this spring is as a place to stand to shoot high angle photos of the Albin on the other side of the dock. Notice how we were able to curve the top rails around to add a little character. These old teak rails proved surprisingly limber.



Here's a view forward on the starboard side. I am totally blank on how to configure the canvas for the sides and across the back. I am on the hunt for a creative canvas person who will have some useful ideas for managing the enclosure. I want heavy blue Sunbrella canvas with screens and enough clear to see out when buttoned up for winter weather.



The curvature of the rails may be more apparent in this photo. The new light mast looks a little strange to me. I think I have it standing too erect. I will try to make some adjustments at the base of the mast to give it a greater rake to the rear.



One feature I do like about the new mast is the waterproof deck connector. When this mast needs refinishing or new LEDs, it will be a simple matter to unscrew the connector unplug the mast and move the whole thing to the shop bench for the work.



Meanwhile, quite a bit remains to be done. The underside the hardtop and its supporting members must be painted. I plan to repaint the entire middle cabin. This job will likely be pretty tedious, with a lot of surface preparation, masking, removal of the instrument panel, the steering wheel and other stuff  I don't even want to think about now.


The underside of the hardtop is epoxy coated, which means I will have to use a special two-part primer to avoid paint failure due to amine blush from the epoxy. Maybe this risk is a cruel hoax promulgated by the paint companies, but I am not taking any chances. I do not want to be repainting any time soon.



In the next post...

... I will provide a final accounting of actual versus budget expenses on the project,  and list the remaining challenges standing between Ms. Bettencourt and her next cruise. If you would like to see more detail on these pictures, click a photo to enlarge. If you have questions for me, please use the comments box below.

How about some feedback 

What would you have done differently? How can I make this account better for you as a reader? And, thanks again for following this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: