About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, August 4, 2012

The top project is done!

I trailered Ms. Bettencourt to Charleston yesterday, where I struck a deal to have an enclosure fabricated. This will complete the new top project. So, today, I am officially declaring the top project finished. The new title on this blog should offer a hint about the directions I'll be taking from here.

When I went to Charleston, I was thinking I would be getting new canvas for the boat. That was my first surprise. As it turns out, there is very little canvas involved. There will be three enclosure panels --one each on the port and starboard sides and one across the rear of the pilot house area. The only canvas needed will be just enough to support the fasteners and mounting hardware. In Ms. Bettencourt's case, this will amount to about a two-inch band of blue Sunbrella fabric around the openings on either side and in the back. The rest of the panel assemblies will consist of U-zippered clear vinyl, screens, attachment fasteners and snap straps for securing the panels when they are rolled up or down.

So, the fact that I was getting an "enclosure" instead of new canvas was the first surprise of my Charleston trip. I can handle that. A learning experience, for sure.

My second surprise was almost a heart-stopper. The estimated cost of the materials and labor for this enclosure exceeded my expectations by more than 40 percent. But that was a surprise I just needed to deal with. After a few minutes, I could breathe again and my enclosure enthusiasm re-kindled. We had a handshake on the deal.

The boat with its new enclosure could be ready for pickup as early as next Friday.

So, at last, its cruise planning time. My friend Major requires cooler weather, so our next voyage together will be in October. We are thinking of trailering Ms. Bettencourt to Georgetown, SC. We will use Georgetown as a base for exploration of the Waccamaw and Black Rivers. Both rivers are "blackwater" streams, bordered by deep cypress woods and old and new Southern homes.

I will be on the water with Ms. Bettencourt well before October, however. As soon as I get the boat back from Charleston, I expect to spend a week or so on the hard cleaning up and fitting out for cruise-readiness. I still need to install the VHF antenna, do some electrical wiring and a few other little things. She should be back in the river at my dock before the end of this month.

I am thinking about taking a few days to journey down the Savannah River, about 200 miles to the sea. Dia and her friend Martha have said they could meet me in Savannah, from whence we might continue on to Beaufort, SC.

It appears there will by much to write about as planning for these voyages evolves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: