About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, November 24, 2012

Failing to make friends

It is said that currents and winds should be our friends when maneuvering a boat in close quarters. We live on a flowing river and our dock is in a place with persistent northerly winds. I have learned to cultivate friendships with winds and currents. Particularly when docking. I have become famously successful at this, both with twin and single screw inboard engine boats -- as long as the bows point upstream and upwind.

Docking in close quarters with the stern upstream is another story entirely.







How did this happen?




Since we moved the houseboat to the outside of the dock, Ms. Bettencourt has sheltered on the shoreside. Here, she is shown moored with her stern upstream. But, surprisingly, I have not been able to make friends with wind and current in this slip. There is a current eddy in this little pocket of water and the wind is always flukey and often gusty.






It is not uncommon for the weather vane atop the gazebo to be registering a steady northwesterly breeze, as it did this morning....














...while the telltale I have mounted over the water about 15 feet  below the weather vane is indicating northeast to easterly winds. (These photos were taken less than a minute apart).












It is not difficult for me to overcome these variables when entering this slip bow-first. If the surface wind is westerly or if it is stormy, I will use a springline,  idling in forward gear to hold Ms. Bettencourt's starboard side to the dock while I tie up.

But, to date, I have been unsuccessful at backing her into this position. Asymmetric thrust from Ms. Bettencourt's right-hand propeller, a relatively small rudder, cramped maneuvering space, slow speed and intimidating obstacles such as these pilings and rocks...


... comprise a test of nautical courage that I continue to fail badly.

So, to answer the question at the start of this post:

How did this happen?

I have been coming in bow-first, then jumping to the dock and using a long line from the port quarter and a big fender to flip her bow downstream.

This is an effective process, the nautical term for which is "winding ship."

But for me, it is not very satisfying. Doing it this way seems like cheating.  This maneuver can't be done with docking 'elan. Passersby would be unimpressed.

So, I will continue to practice stern-first approaches. I think success will depend on learning how to steer in forward gear, whist making sternway in the desired direction. And, of course, I will have to become very friendly with winds and currents in this constricted area.

Perhaps an effective method will develop sometime soon, in which case I will post a video. Please stay tuned.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: