About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sure to forget something ...

My friend Paul and I are  rolling out for the St. Johns River a week from Tuesday. Now is the time for all the advance work necessary for having a carefree boating experience. For example:

  • New wheel bearings on the trailer
  • Lubricated engine throttle and transmission linkages
  • Checked coolant level
  • Checked oil
  • Adjusted alternator/raw water pump belt
  • Cleaned raw water strainer
  • Back-flushed raw water intake hose and valve
  • Lubricated raw water intake ball valve
  • Adjusted stuffing box
  • Checked shaft coupler bolts/nuts
  • Checked sanitary system
  • Started and tested the 1000-watt generator
  • Got the outboard and the inflatable dinghy out of storage
  • Surveyed the safety gear

The piloting routes are already plotted and in the GPS. I have a meals plan (heavy on restaurants).We also have a float plan for the spouses, showing where and when we expect to be, along with telephone numbers.

Still to do:
  • Marina reservations
  • Load bedding and towels
  • Grocery list, shopping
  • Check electronics gear and ground tackle
  • Exterior scrubdown and interior vacuuming
  • Fill the fresh water tank
  • Load and stow personal gear and food.
  • Ice the cooler.

My brother Boris, who moved from Atlanta to New Mexico, bought a cowboy hat and is therefore entitled to feel free on the range, never fails to write and suggest I get professional help for all my preparatory list making. Maybe he is right, but I would rather deal with this stuff now than later.

I know I'll forget something, but I'm unlikely, with my lists, to forget everything.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: