About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, January 10, 2015

Cold, cold, cold



Ms. Bettencourt is there, in the water on the other side of the gazebo, obscured by the fog. But I am not going down there. Too dank and chill.

So, what little boat work is being done is happening in the 70F shop, where I think I found the long elusive fuel system air leak (again).

I believe air could have been getting past the o-ring on the secondary fuel filter bleed valve. The take-out o-ring, shown in the clamp in the center of this photo, is the suspected culprit.

If you click the photo to enlarge, you will see the old o-ring is somewhat flattened and deformed, compared to a new o-ring shown in the foreground.

The bleed valve  is in the hex bolt on the top of the filter assembly, shown below on the bench, freshly painted and with a new o-ring installed.



The forecast is calling for warmer weather next week.

If that proves to be true, and if it doesn't rain, I'll go down the ramp to the boat and start putting Ms. Bettencourt's fuel system back together.

Assuming success with this repair, the next job on the list will be a routine oil and oil filter change.

At least I hope it's a routine oil change. Seemingly simple jobs have been having a tendency to turn into protracted dramas around here lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: