About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Bad Case of Epoxy Fatigue

I am tired of epoxy-ing, and I am not going to do any more of it for awhile. The washing-drying-sanding-rolling-fairing-rolling is making me glassy-eyed. So, I am taking a break and checking other items off my to-do list.

There are some tasks that must be done before the top goes on that cannot get lost in the shuffle. For example, I must plan a route from the shop where the top is now to the boat in the river where it is to be installed. My friend Major and I walked down to the river a couple of days ago. I am guessing that the distance is about 100 yards.

Down the driveway,



around the bend, past two of my (mostly friendly) 6-dog entourage,


through the gate and onto the river side of the house,


over the ramp to the gazebo,


through the gazebo....


Through the gazebo?  Uh-oh. At just an inch shy of 10 feet long, Ms. Bettencourt's new top will not make the turn from the gazebo onto the dock ramp. But we are resourceful. We talked about skidding it down the rocks and floating it over to the Albin. Too heavy. It would probably sink. We talked about moving the houseboat under the gazebo, handing the top town, then delivering it by water. Unfortunately, the space is too tight and the water too shallow  for the big boat,


Then we measured that big opening in the gazebo, just to the right of the ramp rail in the photo above. More than enough room to get the top through on a diagonal. Major thinks that if we can muster a few more old dudes to help, we can pass it through, swing one end around and head on down the ramp.




Where Ms. Bettencourt is awaiting her new top.



So, we will check that item off the list and give that route a try when the fateful day arrives. Meanwhile, there are many other things to get done, not the least of which is finishing the epoxy work.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: