About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, March 24, 2012

Still On The Rails...

Please do not try to calculate progress on this new top project based on the frequency of blog posts. I am still working. It is just slow going.

Lately, I have been working on the grab rails that will run the length of the top on either side. I found these rails in a consignment shop in North Carolina. They are old. I think Captain Ahab used them on the  Pequod. I believe he had them varnished weekly, for years, and the first coat is still intact.


That's my friend Major on the right. He is a little taller than six feet. The rails, on this day, were exactly 10 feet long.

As of today, I have cut the formerly 10-foot, eight-loop rails down to six-loop rails that are 7 feet, 6-inches long.

While these rails are not very limber, each will bend enough to run the length of the hardtop in one piece on its respective side. The forward ends and the first two loops of each rail will bolt through the new hardtop and the fiberglass cabin above the windows. (Where the original rails were once attached). This will require reinforcement above the cabin windows to provide solid backing for the forward rail bolts.





The photo on the left is the area over the port cabin window looking forward. The white material is 1x4 PVC "Trim Plank" from the home center that I  cemented into place with thickened epoxy then planed to shape. The matching backing insert on the starboard side has a channel routed in it for the dome light wiring.

The curvature and height of these pieces conform to the curvature and height of the rafters. The new top will sit flush on the rafters and the backing inserts.


The remaining four loops and the aft ends of each rail will be fastened with large stainless steel screws through the new hardtop and into the 2x4 fir longitudinal stringers.



Mechanical Fastening!

Please recall that the new top is to be glued to the underlying structure on the boat with thickened epoxy, and filleted all-around, inside and out. I had been a little worried about the top flying away when the boat reached highway speeds on the trailer. I now realize that with seven large rail screws and bolts through the top and into the structure on each side, this worrisome scenario becomes highly unlikely. Four additional 2-inch stainless steel screws will be near the forward edge of the top, in the middle, fastening the light mast brackets. These screws will go into a specially reinforced area over the windshield. I think I will stop worrying about the top flying off.


Meanwhile I have been making great clouds of orange dust as I sandpaper my way though varnish applications from antiquity. I hope to remove as much old varnish as I can mechanically, then use some kind of stripping chemical and scuffing pads to get the rest cleaned up. I will coat the rails, and the mahogany light mast I made last week, with three applications each of Cetol Marine Natural Teak and Cetol Marine Gloss finishes.


And, a plan for finishing and fairing  the hardtop itself is finally coming into focus. I have mapped out detailed tasks and sequences for a four to five-day epoxy marathon, starting March 30.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: