About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, February 2, 2013

About those curtains...

Regular readers know that I have been dithering over Ms. Bettencourt's new curtains for months, beginning here: http://tinyurl.com/aoc8vca

To recap the back story: After a lengthy search, I had special-ordered a quantity of very expensive fabric. I then turned complete coward when it came time to start (irreversibly) cutting the stuff for sewing. 

My friend Erena Creighton, a celebrated interior designer, and sewing person without peer, had generously offered to help me through the process. But still, I waffled. More time slipped away.

Erena called last week -- to set a date to begin the sewing. No place for me to hide. "Bring the fabric," she said. "Bring the window dimensions. Only six windows. This will be easy." 

So my roll of fabric and I show up at Paul and Erena's on the appointed day. Then the project stalled yet again. We found that my carefully-drawn windows dimensions were not completely understandable.


Somewhat legible but, unfortunately, incomplete
Of course, my dimensioned drawings seemed perfectly understandable to me--until I was asked to explain why none of the curtain rods were parallel and why the ceilings were so low.

We needed to know how much room we have to work with above and below the window openings.

We needed to know the precise locations of the curtain rods above and below the window openings.

I could not provide this information with any degree of certainty.

It was decided that the cutting and sewing must await answers to these vital questions. I was given assignments: Go and make paper templates; one for each window, with each showing where the rods are located. And take a lot of pictures of the areas above and below the window openings.

So that is what I am doing this weekend. We are to reconvene with the templates, the pictures and the still un-cut fabric next Tuesday morning. 

There may be more progress to report after that session.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: