About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cold, wet, rocky, shallow...


... end of the line

This is about as far from the sea as you can go in a propeller-driven boat on the Savannah River.

Ms. Bettecourt's depth sounder was showing three feet when I snapped this shot in an upstream direction from a point on the river north of North Augusta, SC.

If you click the photo to enlarge it, you should be able to see rapids.

Had you been there with me, you could have looked down through surprisingly clear water to see big rocks, some patches of sand and streamers of weed. This is as close as Ms. Bettencourt would go to the rapids on this trip.

 I ventured closer several decades ago. One blade from the bronze propeller on the houseboat I had then didn't make it back from that excursion.


Yesterday we were at the rapids, on an outing to test a long-unused backup chart plotter. It still works.

I was also seeking some peaceful solitude to contemplate upgrades to this 12-volt mare's nest behind Ms. Bettencourt's instrument panel.



Ten years ago, this was a very neat installation, replacing a 30-year-old jumble of un-labeled wires, glass fuses and rusty connectors.

This modernized 12-volt distribution system is still fully functional today, but I think it needs a capacity expansion and a lot of neatening up.

Perhaps I will work on this instead of starting on the next set of curtains.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: