About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Friday, July 4, 2014

If anyone has been curious ...

... about the inactivity on this site, here's an explanation: Ms. Bettencourt is on the hard in an unused warehouse not far from the river. The cabin tops and decks need to be repainted. Over the last couple of months, I have stripped off  her deck rails and hardware and sanded all loose paint from the weather decks.

Much of the exterior teak is in the shop at home, getting refinished (ever so gradually).

The average daytime temperature around here for the last month or six weeks has been in the 90s. Motivation to work diminished as temperatures went up. Also, it is lonely in that warehouse and I can only listen to NPR on my portable radio for so long. Those are my excuses, and I'm sticking with them.

I did work for a couple of hours early this morning before knocking off around 10 to pick up friends and make it to the Fourth of July barbecue at the American Legion Post. This morning's work consisted of repairing fiberglass injuries on the cabin tops. I am using a product that's new to me: Interlux Surfacing Putty. It goes on easy enough.  Yet to be determined is how easy or hard it sands and how much it shrinks when it dries.

If things go as expected, I'll be back on the job tomorrow. I hope to finish the surface prep and priming in another week or 10 days.

The light in the warehouse is very poor, even with the two 12-foot roll-up doors full open.

 It may be necessary to pull the rig outside to see well enough to apply the top coats of paint, then to push it back into the warehouse quickly after each coat so the finish can dry in the shade. This work will have to be done between sunrise and about noon, after which the warehouse shadow on the outside area in which I will be working will give way to blistering hot direct sunlight.

The  target date for trailering the boat to Savannah is July 28.

That may be optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: