About Ms Bettencourt

Ms Bettencourt is a Swedish built 25-foot trailerable trawler. Her hull was completed in 1971, No. 1117 of about 2500 built. The boat is named for my wife Dia, whose maiden name is Bettencourt.

This little vessel came to me as a gift in 2004. Before then she had been abandoned about 12 years on the Savannah River near Augusta, GA. I have repaired and refitted the boat extensively, and I have cruised her along the East coast of the US, from Cape Lookout, NC, to the Florida Keys. I dream of taking her to Havana some day.

This blog started in 2011 to chronicle the building of a hard top for the boat to replace leaky canvas. Since then the blog has become an Albin-25 boatkeeping and cruising journal.


Saturday, July 12, 2014

Too much heat, too little light

But work is proceeding on Ms. Bettencourt's topside paint job anyway. Light is a problem. The one-part epoxy Interlux primer and Brightside finish coat paint I will be using cannot be applied in direct sunlight. There are no functioning overhead lights in the building. I have found that if I arrive on the jobsite before 9 a.m. EDT, I can get only barely adequate working light on the boat's starboard side.




Here's what it looked like in the old building at 0840 on a recent morning. Both 12-foot roll-up doors were open.









Outside the building at about the same time of day looked like this. East is to the right in this photo. This patch of shade was largely gone by noon, at which time the temperature was 91F. Humidity is usually stifling by this time of day too.






So, surface preparation work continues inside. The Interlux Surfacing Putty seems to be working well as a filler for deck and cabin tops imperfections. It does not shrink too much and is relatively easy to sand.



Because of the light situation, I often find myself working with a shop light in one hand and an electric sander or a paint scraper in the other. This technique is a little dicey when standing on a ladder, but I am making progress nevertheless. Most of the pre-painting work is complete.

One early morning in the next few days, I expect to hook the trailer up and haul the rig out into that little patch of transitory shade. That will give me a space to hose off the sanding dust and inspect the work in better light. While it's outside, I'll scrub the spots on the hull that need touch up painting.



After that, the process will be to paint outside while the shade lasts, then push back into the inside bay where the day's paint can dry overnight. Then pull her out the next morning, paint in the shade, then push her back -- for as long as it takes to finish the job.



Work days will be short, so I have no idea at this time how many in-out-in cycles be required.

Did I mention that this building is unoccupied? It is at the end of a long dead-end road with a levee on one side and dense river bottomland jungle on the other. It is a spooky place to work alone.

Which is all the more incentive to get 'er done.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comments are sincerely appreciated: